The most eagerly anticipated date of the year is nearly here! Every year, Galway Races summer meeting starts last Monday in July and brings unparalleled excitement, frocks and races! This year, Galway races start on 31stof July and go until 6th of August
If you have never been to Galway races, these are some of the things you can expect:
1. There will be horses
But really, these are just a side show to… erm.. horsing around 🙂 Galway races are not just for equine aficionados, they attract very varied crowd, which is why this is such a great event!
2. There will be a tipple of two to be had
Extra bars usually get installed for the week around Galway, so you don’t have to worry about being thirsty!
3. Ladies will be gorgeous
Thursday is traditionally ladies day, with the best dressed lady winning a great award. Expect a lot of high heels, fake tans and champagne.
4. There is mad hatters day
Sunday is Mad Hatter’s Day at the races, and the fun gets bigger as the hats get wackier. Expect branches, flowers, feathers, balloons, oversized cupcakes… we’ve even seen sandwiches and shoes on people’s heads
5. Street parties
Entire Latin Quarter tends to transform in a big street party where people celebrate their great winnings (hopefully) after the races. Come down to Quays Pub and party the night away!
We will see you at Galway races!!! Make sure to book your beds early, Galway races always sell out!
Fun facts (from Irish Culture and Customs site)
• A total of 1,500 people are involved in staging the event to ensure punters receive the world-class treatment they have come to expect.
• Preparations for the event continues all year round.
• Visitors to Galway during raceweek spend approximately €20million over the seven-day period.
• Champagne consumption is 20 times greater on Ladies Day.
• The area under canvas in the tented village is equivalent in size to 50 two-bed apartments.
• Turnover with the Tote, on-course betting shops and the 112 on-course bookies reached €20.3 million in 2002.